Saturday, March 2, 2013

YMCA, City of David, Yad Vashem, Hospital

It is spring time in Jerusalem. And BEAUTIFUL.


We got to play the Carillon Bells in the YMCA tower in West Jerusalem. Over 300,000 people heard us. No pressure.


Can you see the intensity in the room? It's cuz there was. Brother Squires is instructing us on how not to mess up. Only 10 years of piano can save me now. And for some reason, I forgot it all in that moment.


Just so you know. West J always looks THIS GOOD.


We went on a field trip to the City of David! Oh how I love this place! We walked through Hezekiah's tunnel and it was so freaking cool! Sorry I don't have any pictures from this field trip for the blog because I didn't want to ruin my camera. You wanna know why? Cuz the tunnel was filled with water up to your hips at times. So much fun. I've never felt so claustrophobic in my life, but hey, YOJO once. (You only go to Jerusalem once)


We went to Yad Vashem, a museum dedicated to the Jews in the Holocaust and to the people who helped the Jews escape during that time. There were beautiful memorials all around and I feel that this experience has increased my knowledge as well as my appreciation for the people who survived the Holocaust and who saved lives during that time.


There were a couple groups of Jewish teens who were touring the memorials and the museum. It was really touching when they all stood up to put spring flowers on the memorial for the children who were killed in the Holocaust. I saw a bunch of the boys weeping and holding each other as they walked over to it. It shows that the Holocaust not only affected the Jews during WWII, but their children and grandchildren as well.


Later on in the week I got to go to the Red Crescent Hospital for   Women. I disinfected the beds and used my CNA bed making skills to prepare for the next women to come in and have her babies. I also had the opportunity to help the women with their sweet newborns get into buses to take them to post-natal care hospitals, they are more like abandoned hotels that they converted into care homes. It was a huge learning experience. I learned about the sanitation in 2nd world hospitals and how hard core these women really are. They don't get epidural and they don't get wheeled around in beds, they walk around after they have their babies. Dang girl. Overall this opportunity gave me huge desire to help improve healthcare around the world. Dream job, WHO (World Health Organization). Maybe. Maybe.






No comments:

Post a Comment