Saturday, January 12, 2013

Idaho to Israel

Yeah. Uh. I'm in Jerusalem. I dunno why this awesome experience is happening to me but I'm gunna go with it. I went from little Rexburg, Idaho to the Holy Land. I can't believe it. I feel so immensely blessed for this opportunity. Seeing how different the culture is here is a huge adjustment. I love being able to be completely submerged into the culture and interact with people of such great faith. It started on the plane from JFK to Tel Aviv. I was put in a seat that was far away from the rest of the group. I was surrounded by a bunch of Muslims and Jews. At first I was scared but after a few hours I was fascinated. At sunrise on the plane all of the men got up and did their prayers and I loved seeing how devoted they all were to what they believed. I loved seeing them interact with their families with such tenderness and devotion and I knew that was one way that I could connect with them, is that family was a priority in life. 


I had experienced so much and I hadn't even arrived in Israel yet. But when I did arrive, I was completely blown away.





My home.

     When we arrived there was a severe storm and they said that they expected a lot of snow. And oh boy. We gots us some.

                        




Snow covered Jerusalem





Just so you know it never snows in Jerusalem. The last time it snowed was about 10 years ago. You also don't get to see the Dome of the Rock everyday.....from your private patio....covered in snow. Just saying.




Happy Sabbath!



I have pretty roommates. Heeeee :))



This is my friend Matt. He's nice....looking. Ok im done.


Area of Christ's crucifixion


Garden Tomb


Tye Guy and I. Heh.





We finally got to venture out of the Jerusalem Center today after our Sabbath! We went to the Garden tomb and saw where Christ was crucified on the cross. These sites were approved by the First Presidency to be the places where he was. When we were done we sang hymns around the garden tomb. There were many people watching us there and a woman came up to the girl named Lindsie in my group and asked her what religion we were. Unfortunately we are not allowed to tell about our religion at all by Israeli law so we can only tell people that we are Christians. I could tell by the expression on that woman's face that she was feeling the spirit and that she wanted to know more about us. It was so sad that Lindsie couldn't tell her what our religion was and that she just had to smile and tell her we were only Christian. But I know that this gospel is a gospel of hope that someday that woman will be given the chance to hear the gospel and to accept it. I love this gospel and all that it blesses me with. I am so grateful for this opportunity that my family gave me to come here. I love my Savior, I am so grateful for what he did for me in Gethsemane and on the cross. I know this gospel is true. Without a doubt.




PEACE. P.S. also. Sorry bout the date stuff on my pictures. Im technologically challenged. I can't. Get. It. Off.

Oh also. If you haven't noticed how severely handicapped I am at blogging. Just know you can help the less fortunate. If you would like to donate to the cause. Email me. abstaples14@gmail.com. Im surious guys. Help.


5 comments:

  1. Anne Staples I am so amazed at your posts and your pictures, this looks like the experience of a life time. Thank you for sharing your testimony. Even though you're all the way across the world, what you wrote about being able to sing hymns outside Christ's tomb brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for helping to strengthen my testimony. I love you! Can't wait to read more! You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne! I love all your pictures and stories! Keep them coming :) I am going to share with the girls. What an awesome experience! So happy for you. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey anne we're excited to read your blog and see all the amazing things you get to experience! also, you are not even kind of handicapped at blogging. Just write what you think and feel and you're doing it right! plus, the fact that you also have pictures of things like the snow covered dome of the rock from your patio won't hurt your case one tiny bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli! I love you! Email me please!!!

    Thanks Ash! Hopefully I can skype with you, the girls, and nater some time soon!

    Thanks Dana! You are the best! Email me sometime! I wanna hear all about you, TB and sweet Camryn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible Anne! You've had a good time and will continue to have one!

    ReplyDelete